Some of you aren’t doing much with the stock elements of the wordpress blogs. Some tips to get you started:
1. Dump the username title (e.g., “Phill123’s Blog”) and the stock description (“Just another wordpress blog”). Click on “settings” in the Dashboard and replace it with a title that’s more specific to the content of your blog. Remember, what you’re doing here is building a portfolio of multimedia work about the New Paltz campus community.
2. Don’t neglect the “About” section. You can edit this by going to “Pages” in the Dashboard. Tell us about yourself and your blog.
3. Speaking of Pages, you don’t just have to create a linear blog, post by post. You could create a new Page or a new Category for each assignment. Experiment.
4. Don’t neglect text compliments – meaning, the text that surrounds your project. It is part of what invites your audience to click on what you’ve done. It tells them what the project is about. Plus, it’s searchable in a way that multimedia projects aren’t.
5. Speaking of searches, tags are a good way to make your blog posts more searchable.